Scope of Physics
Physics has a vast scope in our life. This could be inferred by understanding the sub-divisions of physics. Basically, we are interested in understanding physics in the simplest way. Looking physics at its division levels simplifies our study and also widens new possibilities to explore in a particular field. Mainly, there are three domains of interest-
- Macroscopic– Macroscopic domain studies the phenomena at the laboratory, terrestrial and astronomical scales. It deals with particles of larger size that are visible with our eyes. There are several branches that deal with the macroscopic particles. These include-
- Classical physics– The type of Physics that is based on Newton’s laws of motion and study the bodies for the force and motion acting on them. This is the branch that deals with mechanics and dynamics of a body.
Example– Man moving in a lift moving with constant acceleration is a problem concerned with the classical physics.
- Thermodynamics– Branch of physics that studies the relation between heat and different forms of energy. It is concerned with changes in internal energy, temperature, entropy of the system.
Example– The burning gasoline inside the cylinder of a car engine is a problem of interest to thermodynamic domain.
- Electromagnetism– The branch of physics that limits it study to electric current and associated electric fields.
Example– Doorbells in our homes uses the principles of electromagnetism.
- Optics– Optics establishes the relation between light and its behavior and properties on interaction with matter. It also deals with analyzing the formation of images from distant objects by different types of mirrors and lens.
Example– The type of lens to be use in the telescope is a problem related to optics.
- Microscopic– Microscopic domain of physics deals with the constitution and structure of matter at the minute scales of atoms and nuclei and their interaction with elementary particles such as electrons, photons and other elementary particles.
- Quantum mechanics– Quantum mechanics studies the bodies at atomic level and is based on the theory of relativity. It focuses on the discrete units of energy called Quanta which is as described by the quantum theory. Quantum mechanics is a branch of modern physics that comprises the atomic and subatomic systems and their interaction with radiation.
Example– Bombardment of different sub-atomic particles to study their interaction is a part of quantum mechanics.
- Mesoscopic- In simple words, mesoscopic domain comprises the study of bodies that are intermediate between the macroscopic and microscopic domain of interest.
The scope of physics is so vast that it can be visualized to cover aspects of astronomical domains and at the other hand it also studies particles at the atomic level. What is more interesting here is that both the fields of study differ by a factor of 1040 or even more.
Excitement of Physics
Physics is one of the most exciting disciples of science. Excitement in physics comes through by experimenting and exploring in physics. For some, every easy and hard problem in physics is exciting while for others diving in the love of physics in the simplest way is quite exciting.
- Physics is the study of matter and energy and their interactions through space and time. It also studies the motion and behavior of matter at different energies at all levels.
- Nowadays, nearly every activity we see around us can be explained on the basis of principles or laws of physics.
- We have been evolved since the earlier times studying physics in different forms. Ancient people justified physical theories without any proper reasoning but a direct observation. As we advanced further, experimental physics came into existence and there came to be some accepted theories with proper experimentation.
- We have seen, since the 19th century, huge developments in areas of physics related to Magnetism, Electricity, and thermodynamics. Soon, theories of classical physics began to be substituted with that of Quantum physics.
- Following modern physics, various other subsidiaries of it began to emerge such as Particle physics, nuclear physics, Quantum chromodynamics, and condensed matter study.
- With physics, we have been able to understand, appreciate, and enjoy the things around us.
- With excitement in physics, we mean how beautifully the laws of nature and natural phenomena are explained using different theories of physics. Only a few theoretical concepts of physics are able to explain phenomena covering a large range of magnitude of physical quantities.
- Excitement in physics can also come through experimenting in new and unique ways to verify the laws and theories.
- Physics is nothing but the persistent exploration, experimentation, prediction, and further reasoning of the things happenings around us, and as far as this continues to happen, we will keep on finding new areas of research in physics.
NCERT, Class XI, part 1, Physical world