- A membrane is the outermost boundary of any cell.
- It is the non-living part of the cell
- Membrane gives the cell support and shape and serves as a boundary regulating the inflow and outflow of materials from the cell
- Membrane is of two type
- Plasma membrane
- Cell wall
- Plasma membrane, also called cell membrane, is the outermost boundary of an animal cell however in most plant cells, it is covered externally by a cell wall.
COMPOSITION OF PLASMA MEMBRANE:
Plasma membrane is mainly composed of lipids and proteins,
- 60-80% are proteins
- 20-40% are lipids
- In addition, carbohydrates are present in minute quantities