Enzymes are globular proteins acting as biological catalysts that increase the rate of various reactions occurring within the biological system.
CHARACTERISTICS OF ENZYMES
Enzymes, the biochemical catalysts, possess the following characteristics
- All enzymes are globular proteins.
- Enzymes catalyse reactions by lowering the activation energy and itself do not get involved in the reaction.
- Their presence does not affect the nature or properties of end products.
- Enzymes are very specific in their action; a single enzyme catalyse only a single chemical reaction or a group of related reactions.
OCCURRENCE OF ENZYMES
- Enzymes may be intra-cellular or extracellular.
- Enzymes which operate within the cell are known as intra-cellular enzyme.