- The living contents of a cell are termed as protoplasm
- Protoplasm consists of
Cytoplasm is the protoplasm of a cell outside the nucleus
COMPONENTS OF CYTOPLASM:
Cytoplasm has three main components which are
- Cytoplasmic inclusions
- The soluble part of cytoplasm is the cytosol and forms the ground substance of cytoplasm.
- Chemically cytosol is 90% water forming a solution containing all the fundamental molecules of life.
- In cytosol, small molecules and ions may form true solutions and some large molecules form colloidal solutions.
- Colloidal solution may be a sol (non-viscous) or a gel (viscous). Peripheral parts of the cytoplasm are often gel like.