- Cell is the basic structural and functional unit of life.
- Cell is the smallest unit that can carry out all activities of life
- Cells act as building blocks that combine to form complex multicellular organisms.
DISCOVERY OF CELL:
- Cell was discovered by Robert Hooke in 1665
- Robert Hooke prepared and studied a piece of cork under his self-made compound microscope.
- He observed that the cork was composed minute honey-comb shaped compartments which he termed as cells.
- The name cell was coined by Robert Hooke which was published in his work named “Micrographia”
- Cooke concluded cell to be an empty space bounded by thick walls.
DISCOVERY OF LIVING CELL:
Antony Van Leeuwenhoek was the first person to observe a living cell under the microscope. He observed bacteria under his self-made microscope and laid the foundations for microbiology